Like many other people during the pandemic, our office worked from home for a year and four months. We returned in July which has been a big shift for a lot of us (read: me). Now I catch myself in a daydream about being at home, typing in fuzzy slippers and cozy sweats many times a day. That’s been a bit difficult to let go of, and I know I’m not the only one. That’s why I advocated for this autumn office morale boost for our workplace.
I am facilitating a fall/Halloween office decorating competition that will be judged the week before Halloween, after our all staff meeting. There are a few things to keep in mind when implementing this in your workplace. They are:
- Make sure this is a voluntary challenge. It’s not fun if anyone is forced into it.
- Offer the choice of fall and Halloween decor in case people don’t celebrate Halloween.
- Our office has a strict no-open-flame policy, so I made that clear in the invitation.
- I also reminded my colleagues that we can only use 3M hooks or tape to hang decorations.
- We have people who share work spaces, so I encouraged them to work together or alone, whatever floats their boat.
What are your favorite office morale boosters?