I first made these meatballs for our housewarming party a few years ago. It turned out so delicious with minimal effort, and I’ve made them many times since. And it only requires four ingredients that you can get fairly cheap. You may even have them on hand which always feels like magic to me.
Servicing Size – 5 – 6
Total Prep Time – 5 minutes
Total Cook Time – 2 hrs 5 minutes
- 1 bag of frozen meatballs – 52 count
- 1 cup strawberry jelly – the traditional recipe calls for grape jelly, but strawberry gives it a nice depth of flavor. I’ve also made them with blackberry jelly and cherry chocolate jelly. The sky is the limit!
- 1 1/2 cup barbecue sauce – any will do here. My favorite though is one that’s savory and a touch spicy though I did not have any of that on hand this time. But the spicy pairs so nicely with the sweetness of the jelly. You’ll want enough to coat the meatballs and have sauce leftover.
- 5 dashes of Worcestershire sauce
- Heat your crockpot by setting it on high.
- Add strawberry jelly, barbecue sauce, and Worcestershire sauce to crockpot. Stir.
- When the sauce becomes thinner as it heats up, (loose with a bit of firmness), mix well.
- Add meatballs. Coat meatballs in the sauce.
- Cook on high for 2 hours. Stir every so often to ensure the meatballs are coated and evenly cooked. You could also cook them on low for 4 hours if that works better for your schedule. Just keep in mind you will want to stir them every hour.
I suggest serving with a vegetable or light side with some element of acidity and rolls. Malcolm likes to make little meatball sandwiches with the rolls. It makes him very happy.
Let me know if you try them or have other tips for this dish?